Fifth Fire Caused by Careless Smoker in Montgomery County

Conshocken fire 2
Residents were evacuated from the building

The fifth fire this year in Montgomery County occurred late Monday night at The Grand View Condominium Complex on River Road in Conshohocken after a resident fell asleep with a lit cigarette in his hand.

Henry Smith, 29, started the fire in his first floor condo that caused an estimated $5,000 in damages.

“Smith fell asleep in his chair with a lit cigarette watching

Monday night football,” said Fire Chief Carl Clancy. “When he awoke, the carpet next to his chair was on fire. He’s lucky to be alive.”

Conshohocken Fire
Conshocken Fire Company #2 arrived at the scene

911 received the call at 10:15 p.m. on Monday. Firefighters from Conshohocken Fire Company #2 arrived at the scene at 10:22. The fire was extinguished at 10:50.

“It is really frightening to think that I could have lost my home because someone was careless,” said Jasmine Ellison, 32, condo Owner. “At least I know my fire alarms work.”

The fire caused the partially-rented complex to be evacuated. No other units were damaged. No one was injured.

The condo unit was the site of much controversy from neighbors who were worried about the complex worsening the congestion and traffic problems in the small town.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s